Updated with latest information released on 13th August 2021:
Thousands of businesses are suffering across Queensland as we try to keep up with the latest restrictions and snap lockdowns.
The 2021 COVID-19 Business Support Grants will provide grants of $5,000 to employing small and medium businesses and large businesses in the hospitality and tourism sectors across Queensland that have been impacted by the recent SEQ or Cairns lockdowns.
The payments should provide some cash flow support to businesses struggling amidst lockdowns and evolving new circumstances throughout COVID-19.
Applications for the 2021 COVID-19 Business Support Grants opened at 12pm (midday), 16 August and will close on 16 November 2021 Importantly, all eligible businesses who apply for a grant during the 3-month application period will receive a grant.
Is your business eligible?
To be eligible, your business must:
- Have a turnover of more than $75,000 per annum and an annual payroll of up to $10 mill (small to medium business)
- Been impacted by the South East Queensland lockdown commencing 31 July 2021 or the Cairns and Yarrabah lockdown commencing 8 August 2021 or any other lockdown in the month of August 2021 (Please note: Your business doesn't have to be
located in lockdown areas, but you must have experienced at least a
30% reduction in turnover as a result of the lockdown)
- Or a large business in the hospitality and tourism sector operating in
the 11 local government areas currently in lockdown (A large business is defined as a business with an annual payroll in Queensland over
What evidence do I need to provide?
If your business is eligible, here’s what applicants are required to submit/complete:
- demonstrate or declare you have experienced a reduction in turnover of 30% or more over a nominated 7-day period (including at least 1 full day of a lockdown event) compared against the same 7-day period in 2019 (or if that period is not indicative of the entity’s typical weekly turnover another nominated 7-day period).
- demonstrate they employ staff (in addition to the business owners and be employed on the businesses payroll)
- demonstrate an annual payroll up to $10 million (except for large tourism and hospitality businesses in the identified tourism and hospitality sector)
- demonstrate annual turnover of over $75,000
- verify your trading location.
Application Process - How to Apply
You will need to apply online with supporting evidence through the Queensland Rural and Industry Development Authority (QRIDA) portal. To apply, complete the steps below.
- Read the eligibility criteria.
- Read the guidelines and frequently asked questions (FAQs).
- Gather and prepare your supporting evidence to submit with your application.
- Register for a QRIDA portal login (or check your existing login).
- complete and submit your application through the QRIDA portal.
My business isn’t eligible – Is there anything else out there?
If you, unfortunately, do not qualify for this $5,000 grant, there are other options out there that could provide you with some financial relief.
A joint Queensland and Australian Government support package for Queensland businesses has been announced. The package includes support for non-employing sole traders and expands on support for eligible small and medium businesses, and large tourism and hospitality businesses. Successful applicants will receive the total value of the boosted grants ranging from $10,000 to $30,000 depending on the size of your annual payroll:
- $10,000 grant to employing small businesses and not-for-profit organisations with an annual payroll in Queensland of less than $1.3 million
- $15,000 grant to employing medium sized businesses and not-for-profit organisations with an annual payroll in Queensland between $1.3 million and $10 million
- $30,000 grant to employing large sized tourism and hospitality focused businesses and not-for-profit organisations with an annual payroll in Queensland of greater than $10 million.
What about non-employing sole-traders?
Under the joint Queensland and Australian Government package, a $1,000 one-off grant to non-employing sole traders across Queensland has been announced.
If you are a Queensland-based non-employing sole trader who has had a decline in turnover of more than 30% due to the South East Queensland lockdown commencing 31 July 2021 or the Cairns and Yarrabah lockdown commencing 8 August 2021, you may be eligible for a one-off $1,000 grant.
Further information about the eligibility requirements will be available shortly. Register your interest here.
We recommend you visit Business Queensland and use the Coronavirus (COVID-19) business assistance finder to see what tailored options are available to you.
What support can I refer my team and their families too?
There are a number of support packages available for individuals who have been affected due to COVID-19, such as:
- COVID19 Disaster Payment for individuals who can't work due to a Queensland COVID-19 public health order and don’t get any Centrelink payments.
- Pandemic Leave Disaster Payment for support if you live in Queensland and can't earn an income because you must self-isolate or quarantine, or are caring for someone with COVID-19
- You can direct your staff to the ‘Financial support for individuals’ Queensland Government webpage which clearly outlines the details of the other many hardship payments and support that is available.
Get in Touch
If you're ever uncertain if you meet eligibility criteria, need help on your application or even wish to get a quote for some strategic business advice for your application, be sure to reach out and schedule a coffee chat with one of our advisors - We're here to help.